- Bart Davenport
- Danny Cohen
- David Copenhafer
- A Faulty Chromosome
- Sean Hayes
- Mark S. Johnson
- Kill Me Tomorrow
- Jim Long
- Makunouchi Bento
- Men Of Kent
- midori hirano
- Mist And Mast
- Sonny Smith
- Chris Stroffolino
- Top Critters
- Cover artist: Maureen Gubia
Thank you to all of the contributors who donated their time, their words, their music, and--in the case of cover artist Maureen Gubia and various contributing photographers--their images, to this free, Creative Commons-licensed compilation. It has been a labor of love from all angles, and your creativity and your patience are much appreciated.
Special thanks to Danny Cohen, whose song "Magritte" inspired the idea for Artsongs, to Sonny Smith for recruiting Jim Long, and likewise to Jim for writing the two joyful songs that serve as the golden bookends of this project, to Jess Roberts, Billy Shebar and Chris Stroffolino for their many helpful suggestions, to Jett Superior for the Bob Ross photo and background info, and to the labels without whose permission some of this music would not have been able to appear: Paul K @ Antenna Farm, Hector @ Anti-/Epitaph, and Andy Bernick @ Richmond County Archives.
Thank you also to the WFMU's Free Music Archive for hosting the audio files.
[Update 24-May-2011: All streaming files are graciously hosted by the FMA. All direct download links in the right sidebar now point to a mirror at the Internet Archive's Netlabels collection.]
- Browse the Free Music Archive
Artsongs was curated by Dave M-H, who runs the Reverse Engine netlabel.
Songs Inspired by Artists & Works of Art
Contributors to this Creative Commons-licensed compilation were invited to submit a song "inspired by an artist or work of art," and were free to interpret that as broadly as they'd like.
At left you can browse songs by contributor, and at right you can browse by inspiration. If you enjoy Artsongs, please tell someone about it. You are encouraged to share these songs with friends and to learn more about all of the musicians and the art that inspired them.
- A newborn baby.
- An amateur photograph.
- Artist tools.
- Butch Anthony, folk artist, and his fortune-telling chicken.
- Art theft.
- The Brothers Quay, animators.
- Cocorosie, musicians.
- Brian Eno @ SFMOMA
- Exuma, singer, painter & performance artist.
- The Factory scene.
- Famous artists.
- Jean-Luc Godard, filmmaker.
- Stig Lindberg, designer.
- Rene Magritte, painter.
- Mondrian, painter.
- Charles Willson Peale, painter.
- Richard Pryor, writer/comedian.
- Egon Schiele, painter.
- TERMS: Artsongs is offered for free download with Creative Commons Music Sharing license courtesy of the individual artists and labels involved. You may listen to it and share it provided that the individual artists are always credited. You may not sample or synchronize these songs with any multimedia project without the express permission of the individual artists.
- DOWNLOAD Artsongs
all mp3s [.zip]
- DOWNLOAD artwork [.jpg]
- DOWNLOAD single mp3s:
- Jim Long - "There Were Some Famous Artists"
- Men Of Kent - "Our Modest Exhumations"
- Danny Cohen - "Magritte"
- A Faulty Chromosome - "This is far from a belle epoque"
- Sean Hayes - "Alabama Chicken"
- Bart Davenport - "Art Thieves"
- Mist And Mast - "Eyes Adjust To The Dark"
- Chris Stroffolino - "Hello World, Hello Morning, Hello Cop"
- Sonoi - "Richard Pryor"
- David Copenhafer - "Fan Letter"
- midori hirano - "Fragment"
- Kill Me Tomorrow - "Attendance"
- Pacta - "Salix"
- Spy-> - "The Ocean"
- Mark S. Johnson - "Art Artillery"
- Top Critters - "Phoebe Yoshiko"
- Makunouchi Bento - "Visiting Mr. Geffle"
- Sonny Smith - "Mondrian"